Реферирование и индексированиеRussian Science Citation Index
Referativny Zhurnal VINITI RAS
Электронные версии в PDFElibrary.ru
East View Information Services
University Library Online
Это произведение доступно по лицензии Creative Commons «Attribution» («Атрибуция») 4.0 Всемирная.
Macroeconomic Determinants of the Currency and Stock Market Shocks: A Panel VAR Approach
Importance The article addresses the currency and stock market volatility caused by market participants' perception of macroeconomic news that central banks across opened economy countries take into account when making decisions on changes in the monetary policy.
Objectives The study aims to offer a quantitative approach to assessing a reaction of the currency and stock market to macroeconomic news publication.
Methods The study employs descriptive statistics methods. Basic calculations rest on the Panel Vector Autoregression method.
Results News about changes in interest rates, inflation and industrial production instantly trigger financial market volatility in all analyzed countries. I found volatility spillovers from currency to stock markets and vice versa. The aftermaths of the news-related shocks are absorbed by the market during 3–4 days.
Conclusions and Relevance The modern monetary policy of central banks implies no immediate measures against inflation spikes, therefore, the reaction of markets to publication of price indices is quite slow as compared to official announcements about interest rate changes. Financial markets respond slowly to publication of important macroeconomic news if the latter can be predicted on the basis of leading indicators.
Ключевые слова: currency shock, Panel Vector Autoregression, VAR, monetary policy
- Chirkova E.V., Sukhanova M.S. [Impact of the earnings’ guidance provided by public companies on their market capitalization and share price volatility in the Russian stock market]. Korporativnye finansy = Journal of Corporate Finance Research, 2013, no. 4, pp. 37‒52. (In Russ.)
- Kondratov D.I. [Formation of the Russian rubles as an international currency]. Ekonomicheskii zhurnal VShE = The HSE Economic Journal, 2012, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 367‒403. (In Russ.)
- Kondratov D.I. [Recent approaches to reforming the global monetary system]. Ekonomicheskii zhurnal VShE = The HSE Economic Journal, 2015, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 128‒157. (In Russ.)
- Reboredo J.C., Rivera-Castro M.A. Gold and Exchange Rates: Downside Risk and Hedging at Different Investment Horizons. International Review of Economics & Finance, 2014, vol. 34, pp. 267–279. URL: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iref.2014.07.005
- Nazlioglu S., Soytas U., Gupta R. Oil Prices and Financial Stress: A Volatility Spillover Analysis. Energy Policy, 2015, vol. 82, pp. 278‒288. URL: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2015.01.003
- Jawadi F., Louhichi W., Ameur H.B., Cheffou A.I. On Oil-US Exchange Rate Volatility Relationships: An Intraday Analysis. Economic Modelling, 2016, vol. 59, pp. 329‒334. URL: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.econmod.2016.07.014
- Turhan I., Hacihasanoglu E., Soytas U. Oil Prices and Emerging Market Exchange Rates. Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, 2013, vol. 49, iss. S1, pp. 21‒36.
- Agudelo D.A., Gutiérrez M., Cardona L. Volatility Transmission between US and Latin American Stock Markets: Testing the Decoupling Hypothesis. Research in International Business and Finance, 2017, vol. 39, part A, pp. 115–127. URL: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ribaf.2016.07.008
- Allen D.E., McAleer M., Powell R.J., Singh A.K. Volatility Spillovers from Australia's Major Trading Partners Across the GFC. International Review of Economics & Finance, 2017, vol. 47, pp. 159‒175. URL: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iref.2016.10.007
- Della Corte P., Ramadorai T., Sarno L. Volatility Risk Premia and Exchange Rate Predictability. Journal of Financial Economics, 2016, vol. 120, iss. 1, pp. 21‒40. URL: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfineco.2016.02.015
- Tunç C., Solakoğlu M.N. Does Exchange Rate Volatility Matter for International Sales? Evidence from US Firm Level Data. Economics Letters, 2016, vol. 149, pp. 152‒156. URL: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.econlet.2016.08.008
- Rambaldi M., Pennesi P., Lillo F. Modeling Foreign Exchange Market Activity around Macroeconomic News: Hawkes-Process Approach. Physical Review, 2015, vol. 91, iss. 1.
- Barunik J., Krehlik T., Vacha L. Modeling and Forecasting Exchange Rate Volatility in Time-Frequency Domain. European Journal of Operational Research, 2016, vol. 251, iss. 1, pp. 329‒340. URL: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2015.12.010
- Tian S., Hamori S. Time-Varying Price Shock Transmission and Volatility Spillover in Foreign Exchange, Bond, Equity, and Commodity Markets: Evidence from the United States. The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, 2016, vol. 38, iss. C, pp. 163‒171. URL: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.najef.2016.09.004
- Omrane W.B., Hafner C. Macroeconomic News Surprises and Volatility Spillover in Foreign Exchange Markets. Empirical Economics, 2015, vol. 48, iss. 2, pp. 577‒607.
- Redl C. Noisy News and Exchange Rates: A SVAR Approach. Journal of International Money and Finance, 2015, vol. 58, pp. 150‒171. URL: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jimonfin.2015.08.002
- Kenourgios D., Papadamou S., Dimitriou D. Intraday Exchange Rate Volatility Transmissions across QE Announcements. Finance Research Letters, 2015, vol. 14, pp. 128‒134. URL: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2015.05.007
- Grossmann A., Love I., Orlov A.G. The Dynamics of Exchange Rate Volatility: A Panel VAR Approach. Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, 2014, vol. 33, pp. 1‒27. URL: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intfin.2014.07.008
- Dąbrowski M.A., Papież M., Śmiech S. Exchange Rates and Monetary Fundamentals in CEE Countries: Evidence from a Panel Approach. Journal of Macroeconomics, 2014, vol. 41, pp. 148‒159. URL: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmacro.2014.05.005
- Oseni I.O. Exchange Rate Volatility and Private Consumption in Sub-Saharan African Countries: A System-GMM Dynamic Panel Analysis. Future Business Journal, 2016, vol. 2, iss. 2, pp. 103‒115. URL: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fbj.2016.05.004
- Guriev S.M., Kolotilin A.D., Sonin K.I. [Determinants of expropriationing the oil sector: A theory and evidence from panel data]. Ekonomicheskii zhurnal VShE = The HSE Economic Journal, 2008, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 151‒175. (In Russ.)
ISSN 2311-9438 (Online)
ISSN 2073-8005 (Print)
Свежий номер журнала